Windows, Mac, Linux
Fast, Free Viewer App for the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5th Edition (LDOCE 5) is probably the best dictionary for English learners. Unfortunately, the software version of the LDOCE is rather unpleasant to use. It is very slow and has problems with basic features like scrolling and copying text. That's why I created the LDOCE5 Viewer — a fast, user-friendly alternative that will make you want to look up words!
It runs on Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac OS X 10.9 and Linux.
Note: Before you can use the app, you have to install the original LDOCE 5 software from the DVD-ROM. If you don't have the DVD-ROM, the cheapest way to get it is buying the "DVD-ROM Only Edition (without Paperback) at The Book Depository for about $24 with free worldwide delivary. Of course, this app also works with the DVD-ROM bundled in the "Paperback + DVD-ROM Edition."
The LDOCE5 Viewer is free and open source software licensed under the GPLv3.
Video & Screenshots
Watch the video below to see how it works: (screenshots are here)
Reviews“... the best option for a serious English learner ... I’ve never had as much fun with a dictionary. It is a sheer pleasure to explore word meanings, examples, and collocations with this app. ... [It] will make you want to learn more English.” —Tomasz P. Szynalski, Antimoon
- Speed — LDOCE5 Viewer starts up in less than 3 seconds, even on old computers. (The original Longman app can take 15 seconds on a dual-core laptop with a standard hard drive.) Searches happen instantly.
- Comprehensive instant search — Just start typing and you will immediately see a very complete list of search results, including inflected forms, collocations, idioms, phrasal verbs, Activator entries, etc. — even if you type an incomplete phrase. LDOCE5 Viewer is much better at finding what you’re looking for than the original LDOCE software.
- Pleasant to use — No more clicking around to do what you want. To search, just start typing a word at any time. Press Enter to show the first search result. Use the down arrow key to display further results. And, of course, things like scrolling, copying and window work as expected.
- Clean and readable — No visual distractions that take up valuable space. Entries are set in a readable font.
- Full sound playback — including word pronunciations, example sentences and sound effects.
- Access virtually all of the LDOCE content, including the dictionary, collocations, thesaurus, corpus examples, Activator, pictures and grammar notes.
- Powerful advanced search — You can specify a difficulty level, part of speech, subject, etc. You can combine multiple criteria (e.g. “Most frequent spoken words 1000” AND “adjective”). Great for teachers who want to generate a list of the most common uncountable nouns, most common informal words, most common American words, words related to business, food, technology, etc.
- Search in definitions and example sentences.
- Clipboard monitoring: Automatically look up any word that you copy to your clipboard.
Download the LDOCE5 Viewer
Go to Download Page
- User Guide
- Antimoon — A website that tells people how to learn English effectively. A founder of this site, Mr. Tomasz P. Szynalski, provided many bug reports and suggestions in beta stage.